Department of English, College of LAS, University of Illinois


Illinois Department of English Blog

.

.
Welcome to the Department of English blog.



My name is Vicki Mahaffey and I took over as
head of the department on July 1, 2016. I'll be using this site to post updates and information of interest to our faculty, students, and alumni,
along with reflections about our discipline(s) in particular and the humanities in general. As anyone who has ever worked or studied here knows, the Department of English is a vibrant place. If you have something you'd like to see posted here, or if you want to contact me about the content of this blog, drop me an email at vmahaffe@illinois.edu.


Saturday, November 8, 2008

Some Alums

Last week, I received a nice email from Kavita Daiya, who received her MA at Illinois in 1995. She said she had noticed this blog and so was writing in reminiscence of her time here (and her work with Zohreh Sullivan, in particular) and to announce, in the spirit of alumni newsletters and so forth, the recent publication of her book Violent Belongings: Partition, Gender and National Culture in Postcolonial India by Temple University Press. Congratulations!

Then, last Thursday, I attended a conference on John Milton held at the Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities that was organized by my colleague Feisal Mohamed. There I heard (among other papers) a terrific paper from Christopher Kendrick on the Paradise of Fools section in book 2 of Paradise Lost. I’ve known and admired Professor Kendrick’s work for years, so I was delighted to meet him, and even more delighted to learn that he had done his undergrad work here at Illinois.

Since I myself am relatively new to Illinois (I joined the faculty in 2006), I love these reminders about the history and tradition of our department. English at Illinois has meant a lot to a lot of people for a long time, and it is very moving to be reminded of that.

No comments:

Blog Archive