Department of English, College of LAS, University of Illinois


Illinois Department of English Blog

.

.
Welcome to the Department of English blog.



My name is Vicki Mahaffey and I took over as
head of the department on July 1, 2016. I'll be using this site to post updates and information of interest to our faculty, students, and alumni,
along with reflections about our discipline(s) in particular and the humanities in general. As anyone who has ever worked or studied here knows, the Department of English is a vibrant place. If you have something you'd like to see posted here, or if you want to contact me about the content of this blog, drop me an email at vmahaffe@illinois.edu.


Monday, January 11, 2010

Ninth Letter 6.2 is on its way


I've just been reading my advanced copy of the new issue of Ninth Letter, which looks to be boxed up and ready to mail to subscribers.

Let me remind readers of this blog to subscribe--some great stuff in there. At a first read, I really enjoyed contributions by Sherman Alexie (his, incidentally, is the only poem I have ever known to made legitimately good use of both a diagrammed basketball play and a complete list of the top 100 songs of 1984), Cathy Day, and Amjad Nasser. And as always the journal's graphic and design elements and free-form aesthetic of constant self-reinvention greatly enhance the experience of the finished volume.

As always, kudos to the editor, Jodee Stanley, to the Creative Writing faculty (Brigit Pegeen Kelly, Philip Graham, and Audrey Petty) responsible, respectively, for editing the issue's poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction, and to all the other MFA students and designers whose work is so well represented here.

If you'd like to subscribe to Ninth Letter (and I really think you should), you can do so here. If you'd like to play the venerable, time-honored role of patron of the arts by making a charitable donation to their operation, you can do that here, too.

No comments:

Blog Archive