Department of English, College of LAS, University of Illinois


Illinois Department of English Blog

.

.
Welcome to the Department of English blog.



My name is Vicki Mahaffey and I took over as
head of the department on July 1, 2016. I'll be using this site to post updates and information of interest to our faculty, students, and alumni,
along with reflections about our discipline(s) in particular and the humanities in general. As anyone who has ever worked or studied here knows, the Department of English is a vibrant place. If you have something you'd like to see posted here, or if you want to contact me about the content of this blog, drop me an email at vmahaffe@illinois.edu.


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Richard Powers elected to American Academy of Arts and Letters

This will be a very short post, but it is a BIG deal. What is needed is not a blog post, but fanfare.

Richard Powers--award-winning novelist and, well, all-around wonderful person--has been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters. His election, announced just this week, is the latest of many honors to make explicit what we already knew: that Powers is among the most distinguished and important novelists working in the United States today.

The LAS News version of the story is here.

The Academy's Press release is here.

If you're interested, there is also an AP story here that focuses on one of this year's honorary inductees. Somebody named Streep or something who, I guess, has done some film work? Eh: not as impressive, to me anyway, as Rick.

1 comment:

David Dodd said...

I asked Powers for a quote for the Richard Powers blog, and he sent this:

"Thanks for the good words. It really is a kick, I do admit. But when I look down the list of past and present members, it does seem as if my election might be some kind of clerical error that will be straightened up tactfully at the door when I try to show up for the induction ceremony in May."

Pretty perfect. Hurray for Richard Powers!

Blog Archive