Department of English, College of LAS, University of Illinois


Illinois Department of English Blog

.

.
Welcome to the Department of English blog.



My name is Vicki Mahaffey and I took over as
head of the department on July 1, 2016. I'll be using this site to post updates and information of interest to our faculty, students, and alumni,
along with reflections about our discipline(s) in particular and the humanities in general. As anyone who has ever worked or studied here knows, the Department of English is a vibrant place. If you have something you'd like to see posted here, or if you want to contact me about the content of this blog, drop me an email at vmahaffe@illinois.edu.


Thursday, July 15, 2010

Convocation 2010, now with pictures!

I just received a cd with some photos from the convocation ceremony we held in May and (since I wrote about it earlier) I thought I might post a few of them here to give readers a sense of what such an event looks like.

There are no pictures here of individual students crossing the stage to receive diplomas, and that is the real heart of the event. But these pictures do convey some of the pomp and circumstance--me in my bright red robes, the assembled students standing in their finery, our distinguished alum, the faculty assembled onstage, and so on.

The convocation is the culmination of so much work by so many students and so many faculty members, that it seems only right to celebrate it twice!


<--Here are faculty-members heading towards the auditorium, led by a bagpiper.

And here (below this caption) is yours truly, at the start of the ceremony.












Here (below) is our distinguished alumni speaker, Dan Whaley, whose speech was one of the real highlights of the event.














And below, without captions, are pictures of the faculty assembled on stage, of the students, and of the auditorium full of graduating seniors and their friends and family.
















No comments:

Blog Archive