Department of English, College of LAS, University of Illinois


Illinois Department of English Blog

.

.
Welcome to the Department of English blog.



My name is Vicki Mahaffey and I took over as
head of the department on July 1, 2016. I'll be using this site to post updates and information of interest to our faculty, students, and alumni,
along with reflections about our discipline(s) in particular and the humanities in general. As anyone who has ever worked or studied here knows, the Department of English is a vibrant place. If you have something you'd like to see posted here, or if you want to contact me about the content of this blog, drop me an email at vmahaffe@illinois.edu.


Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Next of Kin wins NACCS book award!

I am very, very, very pleased to be able to announce here that Ricky Rodriguez's book Next of Kin: The Family in Chicano/a Cultural Politics has won the 2011 National Association for Chicana and Chicano Studies Book Award.

This, dear reader, is a Big Deal. If you think about it, to win a book award given out by a major scholarly organization like the NACCS is about as clear-cut an indicator of academic distinction in a given field as one can imagine.

I am really happy about this on a professional level because this sort of book award is a great honor for Professor Rodriguez and--by extension--for all of us. But even more than that, I'm pleased on a personal level because (as anyone who knows Ricky would agree), this simply couldn't have happened to a kinder or more conscientious person.

The award will be announced officially at an NACCS luncheon on April 2 in Pasadena. But I'm told that we're allowed to spill the beans early, and I wanted to share this piece of good news with absolutely everyone as soon as possible.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well deserved award, Ricky!

Blog Archive